Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Fasting

While Matt is at war, I am doing the Orthodox fast in his honor, but also because I tend to turn to food to comfort me.

Something that rang true for me in a recent conversation with Matt is that he told me we should not be slaves to our bodies, our bodies should be slaves to us.

In doing something like a fast, it is not only an important way to focus on prayer for Matthew but also to remind myself that my soul has power over my physical body.

Here are the fasting rules.

The hardest part for me will be my salmon and feta salads with olive oil that I have for lunch. OH, and not having wine. :)

Orthodox Christians are to keep a strict fast every Wednesday and Friday.

The following foods are avoided:

Meat, including poultry, and any meat products such as lard and meat broth.

Fish (meaning fish with backbones; shellfish are permitted).

Eggs and dairy products (milk, butter, cheese, etc.)

Olive oil.

Wine and other alcoholic drink.

So if I get hungry or crave something that I can't have, I am going to pray for Matthew. I have a feeling I will be praying a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment